You and Your BDU (and other uniform items)
BDU stands for battle dress uniform. This is the standard issue fatigues the military uses. NDMS has adopted khaki BDUs as the official DMAT uniform. You'll find a variety of information regarding BDUs on this page.
First off, BDUs are provided by NDMS for all team members. If you are a member of ODMT and don't have a uniform yet, please contact your regional coordinator.
BDU Pants Sizing (waist in inches)
BDU Shirt Sizing (chest in inches)
Most army surplus stores carry BDUs. You may want to visit your local surplus outlet to check your size.
If you elect to purchase additional sets of BDUs on your own, here are some guidelines.
- The only approved color is khaki. Blue, black, or camo are not acceptable.
- BDUs also come in long sizes. If you've got long arms or legs, get the "long" version.
- Consider getting two pairs of BDUs, especially for extended deployments.
- BDUs come in 100% cotton (summer) and 60/40 nylon/cotton blends (for cooler conditions). Consider getting one set of each.
- The 100% cotton BDUs will shrink in the dryer, so consider line drying them.
- Most local army surplus stores carry BDUs. Propper is a good brand name.
- Internet Mail Order Sources for BDUs:
What About Jackets, Rain Pants, Gloves, and Hats?
ODMT uses a weatherproof red jacket (here's an example) and black weatherproof over-pants (such as these) as part of the team uniform. For insulation we use a black fleece jacket (like this one). Gloves and hats should be black. Contact your regional coordinator for additional information.
How About Boots?
Black, leather (8 inches high). Steel-toe is preferable. Here's an example.
What Do I Wear Under My BDU Top?
The official team shirt is either a purple polo shirt with an embroidered team logo (like this) or a purple t-shirt with logo (front and back). Contact your regional coordinator about how to get these.